Sunday, March 13, 2011

Music Review: Sevin Sins

Since leaving the WWE in February 2010, Maria Kanellis has become something of a controversial figure in the pro wrestling industry. Very outspoken about her contract negotiations that led to her WWE release and very verbal in her sentiments regarding WWE's attitude towards their talent pursuing outside ventures, Maria has since seemingly abandoned a career inside the ring to pursue a career as a musician and as a model. You can follow her on Twitter at MariaLKanellis.

On April 13 of 2010, Maria Kanellis released a four-track EP titled Sevin Sins, the cover is pictured here to the left.

First, I would like to say that the cover is great, though I'm not crazy about the bare shoulders for some reason. The fiery hair I think is absolutely phenomenal. Maria was always one of my favorite Divas, even though she wasn't as strong in the ring as the other girls. She is stunning, and I absolutely loved her as the backstage announcer. I always wished that she at least had a permanent position there. But I digress.

Maria's debut effort is comprised of four tracks: Change Your Mind, Sevin Sins, Alice in Wonderland and the hit single they made a video for, Fantasy.

Let me just say that Maria has a great voice. Often breathy, often firm, undeniably sexy, Maria sounds terrific in all of the tracks, even though I'm not all that crazy about Change Your Mind. Maria's music has an awesome indie/alternative/pop-rock sound that sometimes reminds me of the industrial band Kidneythieves, especially in the song Change Your Mind. I have no doubt that Maria would have a decent career in music if she really did pursue it full-force. I will add, though, that the Fantasy video, which you can see on YouTube, is a bit weak. As well, Maria could use to loosen up in front of the camera a little bit. But she looks pretty fierce in the video.

Would I recommend it? Sure, totally. It's only four tracks, and there's bound to be one that will stick with you. It's not the Piledriver album, that's for damn sure, though that album is terrific just on its camp value. You can find Maria's Sevin Sins on iTunes, or you could even sample it on YouTube and decide if you like it or not. For Maria fans who haven't heard it, you will not be disappointed.

No comments: